Saturday 22 October 2011

LUSH REVIEW: Brazened Honey Mask


Categorised as a "fresh mask" in Lush's "homemade cosmetics" range, Brazened Honey is a concoction of citrus, honey, essential oils, various ground roots and herbs and other natural skin nourishing products. The product claims to leave the skin "vibrant and reinvigorated” after a 5-10minute treatment. Remember to keep the mask in the fridge in between uses to ensure it stays fresh and a usable consistency.

It comes packaged in a small plastic screw top container (75g). I think if you return 6 of these containers you receive a free product. I'm not 100% sure on that, please feel free to correct me =).


Now on to my review =)

How I apply it:


It's a very thick pasty consistency so I suggest applying this after a warm shower on a cleansed face, whilst the skin is still moist. Just makes life a little easier. Also, it's best to apply a generous, even layer to the face and neck.  It adheres pretty firmly to the skin so if you're as busy as I am, you have the option of continuing on with your task without worrying it will fall off. WARNING however, once it dries, you do run the risk of it cracking slightly with facial movements so it may start to crumble depending on how thick you happened to apply it. (Though personally I find the crumbling is not an issue until nearing the end of the products life.) I usually leave the mask on for a good 15minutes before rising it off with warm water. I firmly exfoliate my skin with the mask as it softs with the water. 

My experience with the product: 

To me, brazened honey works much like a heavy-duty exfoliator. The ground almonds, ginger roots, and fennel act as course abrasives to remove sebum, dirty and dead skin cells, leaving the skin polished and smooth. However, a word of caution to those with sensitive or dry skin, this mask may prove to be too harsh on your skin, I would suggest opting for a much gentler mask or at least try this mask sparingly to test your skin’s reaction.

The gingery, citrusy fragrance left me feeling relaxed and somewhat “reinvigorated”, much like I’d been inside a spa where such scents are common.
How it helped my skin: 

I personally have normal/oily skin, minimally oily in the T-zoneand normal around the cheeks. I don’t have a massive acne problem, whilst I do get the odd painfully apparently spot here and there, mostly around the forehead. I struggle more with redness and discolouration. So whilst this mask did leave my skin feeling clean and smoother in texture, it did little to minimize redness or discolouration.

That said, I do like the mask. It leaves my pores feelings cleans and overtime, perhaps just my imagination, somewhat smaller.

Now to really test the product for you guys, I used my boyfriend as a guinea pig <3. He has acne prone oily skin, subject to flackiness and dry pathches. What we found was after using the mask, his acne would surface almost the next day, but in a much more manageable size. I will note that the rest of his face however appeared less oily and was left cleaner and softer. A few days later he would use it again and this time the mask helped to dry up the acne that had surfaced. He marked this as a positive experience. Now a few weeks since he finished the mask, I’ve noticed that although he still gets pimples, they are smaller and much less painful, which is of course a positive. 





All in all, I would repurchase and do suggest this product with the words of be gentle and don’t over use it.
SCORE: 4/5

Hope you enjoyed the review
<3 
Chanel

1 comment: